BIPOLAR DISORDER AWARENESS
from the National Institute of Mental Health
Who is affected by bipolar disorder?
· Bipolar disorder affects approximately 5.7 million adult Americans, or about 2.6% of the U.S. population age 18 and older every year. (National Institute of Mental Health)
· The median age of onset for bipolar disorder is 25 years (National Institute of Mental Health), although the illness can start in early childhood or as late as the 40’s and 50’s.
· An equal number of men and women develop bipolar illness and it is found in all ages, races, ethnic groups and social classes.
· Women and people with bipolar II disorder are significantly more likely to experience periods of rapid cycling than men with the same condition. (Damone, A. L., Joham, A. E., Loxton, D., Earnest, A., Teede, H. J., & Moran, L. J. (2018).
bphope article 'Managing Bipolar Disorder in Times of Stress'
One of the most common triggers for bipolar mood episodes is stress. To re-stabilize, experts recommend examining your sleep, routine, and emergency preparedness.
By Melvin G. McInnis, MD, FRCPsych
ORGANIZATIONS & WEBSITES
· www.nimh.nih.gov National Institute for Mental Health, NIH, Department of H&HS
· www.nami.org National Alliance for Mental Health
· www.dbsalliance.org Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
· www.ibpf.org International Bipolar Foundation
· www.apa.org American Psychology Association – publishes the DSM5 – Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (The Bible used by practitioners for diagnoses.)
· www.bphope.com bipolar website publishes daily articles as well as bp magazine.
· www.themighty.com another bipolar website that publishes daily articles as well.
· www.betterhelp.com online therapy group that has licensed psychologists. Chat online, text, e-mail, phone contact.
Movies and Videos
The Ghost and the Whale
Touched with Fire
Infinitely Polar Bear
Silver Linings Playbook
Also, the movie "Limitless" has scenes that illustrate mania and hypomania quite well.
Excellent videos below:
Bipolar 101 – R. White / J. Preston
Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder – J. Fast / J. Preston
Bipolar Disorder for Dummies – C. Fink / J. Kraynak
Getting it Done When You’re Depressed - 2nd ed.– J. Fast / J. Preston
Welcome to the Jungle – H. Smith
All the Bright Places – J. Niven
Touched with Fire – K. Jamison
An Unquiet Mind – K. Jamison
Mindfulness for Bipolar Disorder – W. Marchand
Cognitive Behavior Therapy – S. Watson
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder – J. Fast / J. Preston
Wishful Drinking – C. Fisher
Food for Thought
12 Super foods that help manage bipolar moods
Read the whole article here. 12 “Superfoods” That Help Manage Bipolar Moods | bpHope.com
#4 Dark Chocolate
for more, click on the link above.
FAMOUS PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR DISORDER
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Vincent Van Gogh
Ludwig van Beethoven
Philip K. Dick