BIPOLAR DISORDER AWARENESS
from the National Institute of Mental Health
Who is affected by bipolar disorder?
· Bipolar disorder affects approximately 5.7 million adult Americans, or about 2.6% of the U.S. population age 18 and older every year. (National Institute of Mental Health)
· The median age of onset for bipolar disorder is 25 years (National Institute of Mental Health), although the illness can start in early childhood or as late as the 40’s and 50’s.
· An equal number of men and women develop bipolar illness and it is found in all ages, races, ethnic groups and social classes.
· Women and people with bipolar II disorder are significantly more likely to experience periods of rapid cycling than men with the same condition. (Damone, A. L., Joham, A. E., Loxton, D., Earnest, A., Teede, H. J., & Moran, L. J. (2018).
ORGANIZATIONS & WEBSITES
· www.nimh.nih.gov National Institute for Mental Health, NIH, Department of H&HS
· www.nami.org National Alliance for Mental Health
· www.dbsalliance.org Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
· www.ibpf.org International Bipolar Foundation
· www.apa.org American Psychology Association – publishes the DSM5 – Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (The Bible used by practitioners for diagnoses.)
· www.bphope.com bipolar website publishes daily articles as well as bp magazine.
· www.themighty.com another bipolar website that publishes daily articles as well.
· www.betterhelp.com online therapy group that has licensed psychologists. Chat online, text, e-mail, phone contact.
5 Types of Narcissism and How to Recognize Each
from PsychCentral.com; Medically reviewed by Jeffrey Ditzell, DO — Written by Courtney Telloian on September 15, 2021
As a personality trait, narcissism can come in many forms and levels of severity. As a mental health condition, there’s only one diagnosis.
Bipolar 101 – R. White / J. Preston
Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder – J. Fast / J. Preston
Bipolar Disorder for Dummies – C. Fink / J. Kraynak
Getting it Done When You’re Depressed - 2nd ed.– J. Fast / J. Preston
Welcome to the Jungle – H. Smith
All the Bright Places – J. Niven
Touched with Fire – K. Jamison
An Unquiet Mind – K. Jamison
Mindfulness for Bipolar Disorder – W. Marchand
Cognitive Behavior Therapy – S. Watson
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder – J. Fast / J. Preston
Wishful Drinking – C. Fisher